In Rift, there are 4 Archtypes: Warrior, Rogue, Mage and Cleric. These are base classes in the game. Each base class has 8 souls and 1 pvp soul. You can learn ALL of the souls in your archtype and switch them out at will. The purpose of this guide is to explain to the new player how to get all the souls. It's one of the most asked questions I see in the new zones.
How Do I Get New Souls?
- You must be lvl 13
- You must do one quest, per soul, at a time.
- You must participate in ANY rift to get the Soul Shard quest item drop. You do not need to open a new rift (tear). You only need to participate in an active rift and help close it.
- Click the quest icon for the soul quest (it's on your quest list, beside the quest title). Or click the Soul Shard in your bag. This will summon a soul of that type for you to defeat.
- You can summon the soul to defeat anywhere in the world. It does not need to be in a rift or after closing a rift.
- Defeat the soul and return to your major city (Meridian or Sanctum) to hand in the quest and receive your new soul.
- Rinse, repeat until you get all of the 8 main souls.
- Guardian mage souls are found around the College grounds at Argent Glade.
- Defiant souls can be found around the main grounds outside, in the central tower (middle building entrance) and in the pvp area (far right entrance).
- You can summon your soul inside your major city near guards who will 1 shot kill it for you.
How Do I Get The PVP Soul?
Each archtype gets 1 PvP soul. Each PvP soul is unique to that archtype. The official site has an excellent description of each of these PvP souls.
You simply need to participate in PvP or warfronts to gain enough favor to buy the PvP soul. At the time of this writing, you need 2500 Favor to buy a PvP soul in the PvP merchant area of your major city (Meridian or Sanctum).